Re: [Nolug] Yet Another Cox+email Question, but not the one you think.

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: 21 Jun 2003 12:28:16 -0500

On Sat, 2003-06-21 at 11:25, Scott Harney wrote:
> On Friday 20 June 2003 07:16 pm, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > I know that it's possible for fetchmail to grab pop3 mail and put
> > it in /var/mail/$USER, can exim or postfix be configured to send
> > mail out to, say, smtp.east.cox.net, and have both fetchmail and
> > exim|postfix retain, in my case, "Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>",
> > instead of "me@localhost"?
> >
> > If so, then where does spamassasin fit in to the equation?
>
> If you're not installing it system wide, procmail runs it.

What means that?

Also, if I have another computer in the LAN that needs to get
mail from pop.east.cox.net and send it to smtp.east.cox.net,
I can use exim|postfix to send it from a spool on the "local mail
machine" to that other machine, right?

Will exim|postfix have to run on each LAN client, or does each
MUA on each node know how to send mail directly to the "local
mail machine" which then in turn sends it on to smtp.east.cox.net?

Btw, the ultimate goal is to have a central spam filter, as well
as learning about configuring email.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| "Oh, great altar of passive entertainment, bestow upon me |
|  thy discordant images at such speed as to render linear  |
|  thought impossible" (Calvin, regarding TV)               |