Re: More cognitive dissonance (was Re: [Nolug] Beginners classes)

From: Michael Flora <michaelrflora_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 07:27:02 -0700 (PDT)

--- Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> > "He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file
> has already
> > earned my contempt. He has been given a large
> brain by mistake,
> > since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.
> This disgrace
> > to civilization should be done away with at once.
> Heroism at command,
> > senseless brutality, deplorable love-of-country
> stance, how violently
> > I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war
> is; I would rather
> > be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an
> action! It is my
> > conviction that killing under the cloak of war is
> nothing but an
> > act of murder."
> > --- Albert Einstein
>
> This, coming from the guy who convinced the U.S.
> gov't that we
> needed to Build The Bomb First, Before The Other
> Guys Got It.
> If Al really said that, it knocks my respect for him
> down quite
> a few notches.

I doubt you've read anything that Einstein wrote.

Fermi was the guy who wrote the letter to Roosevelt
and convinced Einstein to sign it. Einstein refused
to have anything to do with the Manhattan Project.
Many of the Manhattan Project scientists were worried
about the ones who "march to music in rank and file"
and were convinced that a nuclear arms race would
occur after WWII, and, whaddaya know, they were right.
 According to the FAS, between 1940 and 2000 the U.S.
spent $6 trillion (six thousand billion) in 2000
dollars on nuclear weapons, delivery vehicles, and
infrastructure.

M.R.F.

"The history of the Jewish people begins with Abraham,
Isaac and their 12 children. Judyism was the first
monolithic religion. It had one big God named Yahoo.
Old Testament profits include Moses, Amy and
Confucius, who believed in Fidel Piety." -- from an
actual college paper quoted in _Non Campus Mentis_