Re: [Nolug] Spam and Virus Protection

From: Tim Kelley <tpk_at_23rdward.org>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 18:11:27 -0500

On Wednesday 09 July 2003 5:18 pm, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:
> -ray <ray@ops.selu.edu> writes:
> > We are using sendmail with MIMEDefang + Spamassassin + ClamAV
> > (http://clamav.elektrapro.com) on Redhat advanced server with a
> > Novell eDirectory LDAP backend (also on Linux).
>
> Curious: What advantages do you see with Novell's directory server
> over, say, OpenLDAP?

Well, NDS is a very nice product, unfortunately it isn't supported much
by applications. NDS (or eDirectory as it's now called)is a full X.500
direcory server, it comes with an ldap server with which you can access
it. slapd (from OpenLDAP) is not quite as powerful (I forget what the
backend is). LDAP is widely supported as an authentication mechanism
by many applications, especially open source ones.

Novell's stuff is also such a pain in the arse to deal with and so
horridly expensive it probably isn't worth it. With Netware 5.0 I
could not even get the ldap server talking to NDS properly. In theory
slapd should be able to communicate with NDS just fine, if the schema's
there. Probably it is easier to get NDS/eDirectory working on linux
than on Netware.

--
Tim Kelley
tpk at 23rdward dot org