Re: [Nolug] Spam and Virus Protection

From: Alex McKenzie <alex_at_boxchain.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 13:50:26 -0500 (CDT)

<quote who="-ray">
> On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Joey Kelly wrote:
>
>> Thou spake:
>> <snip>
>> >Elm could probably do it too. I've had an email with a 55MB
>> attachment come in. Important tip: make sure you have 2x the free
>> space on your drive, as qmail (prob others) wants to copy the
>> message.
>>
>> Fifty-five megabytes? I hope you drove to the guy's house and LARTed
>> him in person.
>
> Another great feature of MIMEDefang is action_replace_with_url. When
> the student decides to send the 55-meg powerpoint to all 150 people in
> his class, instead of copying it 150 times, MIMEDefang will strip the
> attachment, place it in a web directory, and add a note with the URL.
>
> We do this for attachments over 2 megs, and leave them out there for 30
> days.
>
> -ray

Very nice, I think I'm going to look that up. BTW, I was the sender (and
receiver) for the 55MB attachment. Partly because it was late, the only
other way in was ssh, which I was too lazy to install on my friends box,
and I wanted to see if it would work or not. It did, but it really beats
up a pentium box.