Re: [Nolug] Unix and virus protection

From: Dustin Puryear <dpuryear_at_usa.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 09:53:04 -0500

At 11:07 AM 7/10/2003 -0500, you wrote:

>On Wed, 2003-07-09 at 22:00, Dustin Puryear wrote:
> > And now let us all remember RAV, an excellent anti-virus and spam tool
> that
> > is pretty much dead for us UNIX-types. Man I love that software. Too bad
> > Microsoft bought them. I need to start finding an alternative myself..
>
>All this talk about AV sw for Unix makes me ask: are these only as
>an adjunct to MTAs that then send the email to Windows MUAs?

This kind of software more or less plugs into the MTA and accepts, rejects,
or modifies the mail before it is stored. It doesn't matter what the MUA
is. Of course, there have been exploits for Elm and PINE as well, so I am
sure that most UNIX mail-server based AV and malware-blocking software
handles a large range of issues. (Or one would hope!)

As I've noted on general@brlug.net before, Evolution is quickly becoming
the Outlook for Linux for good or bad.

---
Dustin Puryear <dustin@puryear-it.com>
Puryear Information Technology, LLC <http://www.puryear-it.com>
Providing expertise in the management, integration, and
security of Windows and UNIX systems, networks, and applications.