Re: [Nolug] Using RH9 as a router and nat firewall

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: 11 Jul 2003 14:22:51 -0500

On Fri, 2003-07-11 at 12:02, Biouxtai wrote:
> I will be getting cable internet at my home in the near future, and I
> was looking for information on how/what to set up to enable my rh9
> server to act as a firewall and router. I have already installed 2
> nic's and would like to put a modem in it to run some simple routing tests.
>
> Can anyone either point me to where to look, email me some useful
> instruction, and/or post it so we all can enjoy?
>
> Ron, I think you mentioned that you were doing something like this a
> while ago using mandrake?

Yes, using it as workstation and fw/masquerader/router for other
machines on LAN. It's not rocommended, though.

Will that box be dedicated to firewall/masqerading/routing?

If so, then you can minimize it severely, going as far as using
a single-floppy distro.

Currently, I use Debian 3.0, kernel 2.2.19-ide and a custom,
easy-to-read ipchains script. (I can send it to you if you'd
like).

This is a 186MB ISO that's just about all you need for a functional
system. After install, you'll have to apply security patches,
but that's 2 commands (and time at 33.6Kbs).

http://www.phy.olemiss.edu/debian-cd/woody-i386-1.iso