Re: [Nolug] Using RH9 as a router and nat firewall

From: Dustin Puryear <dpuryear_at_usa.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 10:09:10 -0500

At 05:40 PM 7/11/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>On Fri, 2003-07-11 at 16:34, Tim Kelley wrote:
> > My server is also my firewall / router ... what's the problem there? If
> > money's no object of course I would have DMZ, etc., but I'm into
> > economy here; it's just my home setup. And my firewall is hand written
> > (about 800 lines worth), not some canned script.
>
>If someone cracks my firewall, then they have basically nothing,
>and must crack into my machine to get anything useful.
>
>If someone cracks your machine, he has access to all of your
>files.

For home networks I tend to just say "do whatever". If an attacker can get
into your firewall then getting into a home machine running X and all of
the other goodies is going to be trivial. :)

---
Dustin Puryear <dustin@puryear-it.com>
Puryear Information Technology, LLC <http://www.puryear-it.com>
Providing expertise in the management, integration, and
security of Windows and UNIX systems, networks, and applications.