Re: [Nolug] Evo and Outlook

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: 14 Jul 2003 16:07:43 -0500

On Mon, 2003-07-14 at 09:43, Judson Lester wrote:

> >> I understand the point you're making, but COBOL does have pointers,
> >
> > Yes, COBOL-99 does, but no one really uses it. COBOL-85 is *the*
> > 3GL business language.
>
> Blah. COBOL is a ledger book with an attitude.

Bull.

It is a language tuned to a record-oriented paradigm (and that
means records in all their forms, including embedded variable
length arrays), but so what? Many things in commerce have that
orientation. That's why COBOL-85 is so damned useful.

When I was in college, the way I learned COBOL-74 made everyone
in the classroom *despise* it, because it made us go through
such incredible contortions to avoid GOTO (Dijkstra's evil
legacy) in a language that doesn't have ENDIF or DO-WHILE.

I was mortified when my first programming job was using COBOL-74.
Boy, did I learn some things!! GOTO and 35 neurons along with
use of "PERFORM 200-BEGIN-PROCESSING THROUGH 200-EXIT." makes
COBOL-74 very powerful.

Then came COBOL-85, which has all the modern control structures,
and is a totally sweet language for writing form- and record-
oriented apps.