[Nolug] Book: Effective Perl Programming

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 16:57:15 -0500

Since someone asked, I've found a copy of this book. "Effective Perl
Programming" has this bit in the preface:

    Effective Perl Programming is a book of advice and examples. It
    derives from my experience as a Perl programmer and --
    especially -- as a Perl instructor. This book is suitable for
    readers who have a basic understanding of Perl and a few months
    of practical experience programming in it. Because [it] is a
    guidebook, not a manual, readers will need access to a
    comprehensive reference. I recommend the Perl man pages (freely
    available in many forms [...]) or "Programming Perl".

Randal Schwartz (co-author) writes in the Forward:

    I didn't learn English by reading the dictionary, or by stopping
    after I had read the "See Dick Run" primers. In the same way, I
    don't learn a new computer language by merely sitting down with
    the reference materials or any available tutorials. To really
    /know/ a computer language, and be fluent in its usage. I have
    to get to the next level of proficiency. This requires learning
    how people use it when theyre' using it in the best and most
    efficient way.

Which is a great summary of how I feel about using Perl.

This is one of the few technical books that I've /enjoyed/ reading.
It is well-written and easily digestible. The book contains 60
"Items", each of which can be read and understood quickly. Each of
these items will give you a better understanding of Perl as the gurus
write it.

People talk about the O'Reilly books as if they contain all there is
to know. This book isn't an O'Reilly (the publisher is
Addison-Wesley), but, in my opinion, the quality is much higher than
many Perl-oriented books published by O'Reilly.

Mark.

--
As long as you have mystery you have health; when you destroy mystery
you create morbidity.			     -- G.K. Chesterson