[Nolug] Even the cleanest, most readable, bug-less code can be brain-dead

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: 14 Jul 2003 21:43:57 -0500

Remember this quote I wrote regarding poor script writing
practices?

> Most people, especially busy, mediocre programmers, and SysAdmins
> who hack out what they think are one-time scripts that somehow
> wind up still in production 3 years later, only think of the
> moment.

Well, I'm hoisted on my own petard... I wrote an SQL script
that I thought would run a few hours and be over, but now it's
42 hours, and if I kill it, the database will be frozen for
another 12+ hours, while the transaction rolls back.

If I'd have taken 10 minutes to put in a signal handler, I could
have made it commit or roll back at my whim and not be in this
jam. Sigh...