[Nolug] what portdoes SAMBA use (I FINALLY GOT IT WORKING!!!)

From: Retrolin_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 15:32:00 -0400

alright alright..so I was way off...and I really don't know EXACTLY what the problem was...or EXACTLY how i fixed it....but at either rate...what helped me was http://excess.org/docs/linux_windows_printing.html now...(if you don't care how it helped and just want to see what fixed it, just skip the next 4paragraphs)

from what it said, I tried
CanonS52 is the printer's share name in windows
Jennifer is the computer name the printer is on

/usr/sbin/lpadmin -p CanonS52 -v smb://Username:password@Jennifer/CanonS52 -P /root/CanonS52.ppg
which gave me enter "password for Retrolin@localhost"...and after I entered it, it asked again and again...I couldn't get through that..I have no clue what it was
and because while trying to find the printer, I needed to use the ip address as the name while finding it (/usr/bin/smbclient -L 192.168.1.98 -U username ...using -I did NOT work...it found nothing and using -L Jennifer didn't work either...still found nothing.... and using -I 192.168.1.98 -L Jennifer - U Username couldn't find anything EITHER!!! ANYWAY! so I tried

/usr/sbin/lpadmin -P CanonS52 -v smb://Username:password@192.168.1.98/CanonS52 -P /root/CanonS52.ppg

which gave me You must specify a printer name first

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!FINALLY WHAT YOU"VE BEEN WASTING YOUR TIME READING ALL THAT JUMBLE TO GET TO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went to print manager just to see what was in there after all this mess...and there was a printer that actually connected...

I went to properties and I went to the printer inside the properties and clicked edit and this is how it was set up

under queue type, under share: username:password@192.168.1.98/CanonS52
under servername or host IP address: username:password@192.168.1.98

Workgroup is left blank (before when it wasn't working, I actually had this filled out)
User is left blank (this one too)
password is left blank (yes you guessed it...this one as well)

NOW...what would be nice is if somoene could tell me how a guest logs onto windows computer so I don't need to have an account set up on it in order for me to connect to it (isn't somethinig like anonymous@computername and something else for the password or something...I don't know, but I do know there is something @ something for the user name and I know there is some....thing for the password...or SOME thing like that..