Re: [Nolug] Cloning hard drives

From: Scott Harney <scotth_at_scottharney.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 10:30:20 -0500

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

> I've had trouble with this, where symlinks on the new disk still
> point back to the master disk. /etc/alternatives is the main
> culprit, but not the only one.
>
> It only happens when the system is split into multiple partitions,
> i.e., /, /boot, /var, /usr, etc.

Were you doing this on the currently running OS? you can use the h
optin to GNU tar to dereference symlinks, but that's probably not what
he wants. That's another reason to do the copy where you have your
running us and your source on, say, /mnt/source and your destination
on /mnt/destination.

scp -pr is actually better than cp at copying local files .
rsync can also do the job nicely.

> | Ron Johnson, Jr. Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net |
> | Jefferson, LA USA |
> | |
> | "I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian |
> | because I hate vegetables!" |
> | unknown |

Scott Harney<scotth@scottharney.com>
"...and one script to rule them all."
gpg key fingerprint=7125 0BD3 8EC4 08D7 321D CEE9 F024 7DA6 0BC7 94E5