Re: [Nolug] Gentoo?

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: 30 Jul 2003 23:42:46 -0500

On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 23:22, Manuel Lora wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been using Linux for years, and Gentoo for a few months. I finally
> decided to go for it one day, after a hard drive died :)
>
> It's been really good to me. The setup is not necessarily tricky (just RTFM)
> but long, depending on the CPU and RAM. It will take several hours (or days)
> to get the basic system (stage1) installed. Alternatively, you can install
> pre-compiled stuff. I went the more "pure" way and compiled everything for
> the CPU.

Is *****all*the*time***** burnt compiling a system from source?
Things like X, GNOME, KDE (and you'll need libraries for both) and
OOo take a really long time to compile.

On almost everything except crypto, you get a better speed boost
by using more RAM, h/w 3D and faster disks.

There have been lotsa threads regarding this on the Debian lists,
and that's the consensus, after someone actually did time tests.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net             |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                              |
| "I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian  |
|  because I hate vegetables!"                                    |
|    unknown                                                      |