Re: [Nolug] Linux in US Navy submarines

From: Brian D. Mayeur <bmayeur_at_bmay.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 11:51:48 -0000 (GMT)

That is where I was first introduced to Linux. I was in the Navy about
two years ago, and my primary system had Linux on it. It was a satellite
communication system that would track geosynchronous satellites on a
moving platform. It was an advanced piece of hardware for operators to
adjust, so they built two Linux boxes to interface with the system. I had
to teach myself Linux because the operators would kill the power without
doing a proper shutdown of the user interface machines. Damn operators!!

> http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/news/2003-08-06.shtml
> "United States Navy submarines utilize on-board HPC clusters for the
> realtime image processing. These systems are revised and upgraded on
> a rotational basis. Lockheed Martin has chosen to move with the Apple
> Xserves and Yellow Dog Linux. This combination provides a solution
> twice as dense, less power consumptive, and higher performance than
> the previous solution at a similar cost."

> | Ron Johnson, Jr. Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net |
> | Jefferson, LA USA |
> | |
> | "Man, I'm pretty. Hoo Hah!" |