Re: [Nolug] running a mail server with a Cox account

From: Scott Harney <scotth_at_scottharney.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 07:10:46 -0500

"John Souvestre" <johns@sstar.com> writes:

AOL is definitely one. And it's been that way for quite a while. Actually they
require the domain to match and their be a forward lookup if forward does not
match reverse.

ie. if you call yourself mail.scottharney.com and reverse lookup produce
attitude.scottharney.com, aol will forward the mail if attitude.scottharney.com
exists. But if you call your mailserver mail.scottharney.com and your
reverse lookup comes back as ipmy-ip-add-ress.no.no.cox.net they'll dump your
mail silently without error to you or the sender.

http://members.aol.com/adamkb/aol/mailfaq/dropped-mail.html

> Hi Scott.
>
> Yes, for a VERY, VERY few mail servers. But I don't believe that AOL is
> one. From what I learned they do require that reverse DNS produces
> something, but it doesn't have to match the forward lookup.
>
> John
>
> John Souvestre - Southern Star - (504) 888-3348 - www.sstar.com

Scott Harney<scotth@scottharney.com>
"...and one script to rule them all."
gpg key fingerprint=7125 0BD3 8EC4 08D7 321D CEE9 F024 7DA6 0BC7 94E5