Re: [Nolug] running a mail server with a Cox account

From: Scott Harney <scotth_at_scottharney.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 09:30:11 -0500

Brad N Bendily <brad@selu.edu> writes:

Just send mail through smtp.east.cox.net. In your mailserver you need
to set up a "relayhost" or "smarthost" parameter to send mail out. how
to do this depends on the mail server you happen to use.

If you don't want to mess around with a complex mail server. download
and install ssmtp (I'm sure there's an rpm). It is a very simple smtp
forwarder that forwards to a smarthost.

>> That's why I say to folks on DSL/cable who wish to send their own
>> mail via a local mailserver to simply match their hostname in their
>> mail server config to their ISP-managed public IP's reverse lookup.
>

> So, what if I have my firewall box that I send mail out on the
> command line. What setting do I need to change to be able to send
> mail through a Cox server ( I have my firewall box connected to the
> cable modem). Right now, I have scripts that should be sending mail,
> but the mail is either being denied, or is just bouncing.
>
> This box is a standard RedHat 7.3 install with a custom kernel.
> I have never changed the mail settings, so how do I get it to use
> Cox's smtp server? I was able to get pine to send through cox's smtp
> server, but Pine isn't a great program to use in scripts.
>

> Thanks
> Brad B

Scott Harney<scotth@scottharney.com>
"...and one script to rule them all."
gpg key fingerprint=7125 0BD3 8EC4 08D7 321D CEE9 F024 7DA6 0BC7 94E5