Re: [Nolug] Random numbers in bash

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 17:28:35 +0000

Thou spake:

I wrote a dice-rolling program on my HP 41C calculator in college sometime
during the last millenium. Basically, here's what I did:

Take the range of possible values and multiply by some factor that will give
you results in the range you are looking for. You might have to take this
number and add 1 to it (else you'll be getting a zero, which is outside your
stated range). Then round the real value and cast it to get an integer
(different languages cast differently, you'll have to research this).

Hope this helps :-)