Re: [Nolug] MS Blaster DDOS against the rest of us

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 19:31:27 +0000

Thou spake:
>I was looking at the log on my SMC firewall, and I couldn't help
>but notice that for the 174 or so entries that it can hold, that 169
>of those are scans on port 135. In the 99 minutes that the log
>currently holds, that's 17 scans per minute. DOH! Is my IP address
>just a lucky honey-covered bullseye, or are y'all seeing the same
>sort of activity? This is _WAY_ worse than average. Usually,
>I'd see all sorts of scans, such MS SQL Slammer, NFS, telnet,
>and the like. But this drowns them all out. If I could only trade
>this for some telemarketing calls during dinner........
>
>Blasted in Luling,
>
>Andy

I don't get anything on that port, but I'm getting hit hundreds of times with:

ICMP PING Cyberkit 2.2 Windows

Apparently it's a reconnaisance tool used by windows lusers. I'm just letting
snort log it all...

Last night I had someone doing POSTs on a php page on my box several times a
second... the sad part is, the script accepts no form variables... it's only
doing a page counter, reading data from a file on my box. I started dropping
his packets ()iptables -A INPUT -s $IP -j DROP... hopefully he'll leave me
alone for a while.

My point is, whether a worm or a lamer, your box is going to be blasted by
something or other, 24/7, unfortunately. You might consider dropping packets
with destination port 135, thusly (assuming you're running a 2.4 kernel):

iptables -A INPUT -dport 135 -j DROP

(someone please correct me if I have the syntax wrong...)

Happy hunting!