[Nolug] pesky attachments

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 17:21:53 +0000

Hey all,

This is regarding the Sobig worm and the spurious bounces it also produces.
This trick uses procmail to filter mail based on attachment names.

I saw this on slashdot, tried it out, and anything with a suspicious
atachment gets sent to the bitbucket.

My .procmailrc file:

:0fw spamassassin.lock
* < 256000
| /usr/bin/spamc

:0 B
* ^ *Content-Disposition: attachment;
* filename=".*\.(pif|exe|scr)"
/dev/null

The first block is for spamassassin (What? You don't run this? You
oughtta...)

The second block scans all incoming email and helpfully delivers anyhting
with a .pif, .exe, or .scr attachment to /dev/null.

I was talking to folks in #spamassassin on freeload (irc.freenode.net) and
there were a few reservations. However, I tested it myself, and it seems to
work. The issue they had was that any email that had the string "pif", etc.
in it would be deleted; in other words, email lists discussing these
attachments would fail to be delivered. My response was that if I wanted
traffic about this junk, I would route my mail alternately. However, I sent
test mesages and nothing containing these strings was blocked.