Re: [Nolug] SSH Key Question

From: Scott Harney <scotth_at_scottharney.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 09:59:33 -0500

"Wimprine, Thomas" <twimprine@stei.com> writes:

> I come in to work and I try and ssh to my box, however I notice that the ssh
> key is changed and I get the appropriate warning message. Since I'm the only
> one that has root on this box, is there some other normal method for that to
> happen? (Someone please come up with a good answer!!! I don't want to
> rebuild this thing right now!!)

I'm assuming you mean this:
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@ WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED! @
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
It is also possible that the host key has just been changed.

Did you upgrade sshd on that box recently or do you have some kind of
automated upgrading (ie RedHat up2date) going on? Was the box rebooted?
Many sshd start scripts will auto-generate a host key if none is found.
This may happen as a result of an upgrade of sshd as well.

--
Scott Harney<scotth@scottharney.com>
"...and one script to rule them all."