Re: [Nolug] Clubhouse Idea

From: Alex McKenzie <alex_at_boxchain.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 18:59:31 -0500

Craig Jackson wrote:

> A club house is a great idea, but I'm not sure we really need one. What
> if we had a few boxes colocated so any of us could ssh into them and one
> of us had physical access? Do we all need physical access to the
> machine? We could be allowed access on a group project basis and on
> request. The experience could be documented on the web site while
> discussion occurs on the web site and in private email. This seems a lot
> more feasible and may benefit more people than the club house which has
> the likely possibility of ultimately being used by a few.

This makes a lot more sense. I learn and work at UNO, and I can tell
you that getting network access won't be much of a problem. Getting
access in the evenings won't be a problem. You *won't* get a room. I
know a few instructors who are sharing their office with another
instructor. You're welcome to try, maybe there's space I don't know
about, but don't plan on it.

If we could move the meetings to the 3rd floor, where all the Sun boxen
are, we could use ssh and do hacking on our club box(en). But this
would require University login accounts, so some dealmaking will be
neccesary. I know the mail servers could use spam filtering...

I don't think a full blown colo is neccesary (but since someone offered
:). At any rate, we with broadband could setup spare nolug machines for
whatever purposes. Guerilla style.

--
Alex McKenzie     alex@boxchain.com     http://www.boxchain.com