Re: [Nolug] FEEDBACK: Security blame games

From: mah_at_everybody.org
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 14:52:30 -0500

Quoting Dustin Puryear <dpuryear@usa.net>:

> That's a good question. Should the email client fully render the HTML,
> including images which can be used by spammers to validate addresses?

Note that this particular bug allowed the loading of images -- the bug blocked
the user's preference in loading images from the internet.

> The issues can be generally blamed on bad implementation choices (i.e.,
> running attachments by default) and some nasty bugs.

Your "Implementation choices" == my "Design".

The point is that Microsoft has known for some time that their design or
implementation choices are the root of the problem (would you like some bugtraq
references?) but they have only recently begun to address the issues by
changing the default behavior of Outlook.

Mark.