Re: [Nolug] Pine is worse than Evolution

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 03:31:00 -0500

On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 21:45, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:
> Just because of the conversation last week re: evolution
> security... Here is someone who claims to have found a
> fully-automatic remote exploit for Pine.
>
> A worm that uses Pine as the infection vector. Oooo! Keep those
> address books safe!

[snip]

char *lame_cmd =
"/usr/sbin/in.telnetd -L /usr/bin/vi -debug 6682 & /bin/killall -9
pine";

So, will this particular exploit fail if telnetd is not installed
on the system?

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA
"Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect
liberty when the Government's purposes are beneficent. Men born
to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their
liberty by evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty
lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning, but
without understanding."
Justice Louis Brandeis, dissenting, Olmstead v US (1928)