[Nolug] ["Marsee Henon" <marsee@oreilly.com>] Newsletter from O'Reilly UG Program, September 17

From: Scott Harney <scotth_at_scottharney.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 21:12:06 -0500

attached mail follows:

O'Reilly UG Program News for User Group Leaders only
September 17, 2003
-O'Reilly's Press Room
-The Perl Camel Usage and Trademark Information
-Put Up an O'Reilly ThinkGeek Banner, Get A Free Book
Book Info
***Review books are available
Copies of our books are available for your members to review--
send me an email and please include the book order number on your
request. Let me know if you need your book by a certain date.
Allow at least four weeks for shipping.

***Please send copies of your book reviews
Email me a copy of your newsletters or book review.
For tips and suggestions on writing book reviews, go to:
http://ug.oreilly.com/bookreviews.html

***Discount information
Don't forget to remind your members about our 20% discount on
O'Reilly books and conferences. Just use code DSUG.

***Group purchases with better discounts are available
Please let me know if you are interested and I can put you in
touch with our sales department.

General News
***The O'Reilly Press Room
Have you ever visited our Press Room? Here's where you find
copies of all our press releases in HTML or RSS. We have a
short and long company description and we have Tim O'Reilly's
bio and photo.
http://press.oreilly.com/index.html

If you need more info on RSS readers go to:
http://blogspace.com/rss/readers

***The Perl Camel Usage and Trademark Information
http://perl.oreilly.com/usage/

***Put Up an O'Reilly ThinkGeek Banner, Get A Free Book
We are looking for user groups to display our ThinkGeek banners
on their web sites. If you send me the link to your user group
site with one of our O'Reilly ThinkGeek banners, I will send you
the O'Reilly book of your choice.

O'Reilly ThinkGeek Banners:
http://ug.oreilly.com/banners/thinkgeek/

O'Reilly News for User Group Members
September 17, 2003
Book News
-Wireless Hacks
-Enterprise Services Architecture
Upcoming Events
-Louis Rosenfeld, ("Information Architecture for the World Wide
Web"), 2003 Dublin Core Conference, Seattle, WA--Sep 28-Oct 2
-Jason Hunter, ("Java Servlet Programming, 2nd Ed" & "Java
Enterprise Best Practices"), SDForum Emerging Technology SIG,
Palo Alto, CA--Oct 14
Conferences
-Ends September 24--O'Reilly Emerging Technology Conference Call
for Participation
-The Second Annual O'Reilly Mac OS X Conference, Santa Clara, CA
Safari
-"Go On Safari" Tip of the Week Contest Winner--Rory Blyth,
Portland Area Game Developer Interest Group
News
-O'Reilly Authors in the News
-Hacking Windows XP
-Single Sign-on for Your Web Applications
-The Hacker Behind "Hacking the XBox"
-Web and Enterprise Architecture Design Patterns for J2EE
-Enhancing ASP.NET Pages with JavaScript
-Ten Tips for Building a Flash Remoting Application
-Keynote Plays Ball with PowerPoint

Book News
Did you know you can request a free book to review for your
group? Ask your group leader for more information.

For writing book review tips and suggestions, go to:
http://ug.oreilly.com/bookreviews.html

Don't forget, you can receive 20% off any O'Reilly book your
purchase directly from O'Reilly. Just use code DSUG when
ordering online or by phone.
http://www.oreilly.com/

***Free ground shipping is available for online orders of at
least $29.95 that go to a single U.S. address. This offer
applies to U.S. delivery addresses in the 50 states and Puerto
Rico.
For more details, go to:
http://www.oreilly.com/news/freeshipping_0703.html

***Wireless Hacks
Order Number: 5598
"Wireless Hacks" offers 100 industrial-strength tips about
wireless networking, contributed by experts who use the tips
every day. Written for intermediate to advanced wireless users,
this book is full of direct, practical, ingenious solutions to
real-world networking problems. Whether your wireless network
needs to extend to the edge of your office or to the other end
of town, this collection of non-obvious, "from the field"
techniques will show you how to get the job done.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/wirelesshks/

Sample Hacks are available online:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/wirelesshks/chapter/index.html

***Enterprise Services Architecture
Order Number: 5512
"Enterprise Services Architecture" outlines a disciplined and
structured approach to understanding how today's enterprise
applications will make use of web services. Aimed at senior
management and IT professionals, the book presents a
forward-looking architecture that can meet future development
challenges with ease and agility. This book was commissioned by
SAP, but we're making it available to the general public because
we believe the information can help the marketplace come to
grips with the architectural revolution that is underway.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/entservapps/

Chapter 1, "Concepts and Philosophy," is available online:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/entservapps/chapter/index.html

Upcoming Events
***For more events, please see:
http://events.oreilly.com/

***Louis Rosenfeld, ("Information Architecture for the World
Wide Web"), 2003 Dublin Core Conference, Seattle, WA--
Sep 28-Oct 2
Louis is a featured speaker at the 2003 Dublin Core Conference:
Supporting Communities of Discourse and Practice-Metadata Research
and Applications.
http://dc2003.ischool.washington.edu/index.html

Bell Harbor International Conference Center
2211 Alaskan Way, Pier 66
Seattle, WA 98121
http://dc2003.ischool.washington.edu/venue.html

***Jason Hunter, ("Java Servlet Programming, 2nd Ed" & "Java
Enterprise Best Practices"), SDForum Emerging Technology SIG,
Palo Alto,CA--Oct 14
Jason will be presenting XQuery, a W3C specification for
querying XML or anything that can have an XML facade such as a
relational database. It has the backing of all the big players
including Oracle, IBM, BEA, and Microsoft, and has several open
source implementations as well. In this talk you'll learn how to
use XQuery, when to use XQuery, and which implementations to trust.

For more information, including cost, go to:
http://www.sdforum.org/p/calEvent.asp?CID=1188&mo=10&yr=2003

7pm, Tuesday, October 14
Cubberley Community Center
4000 Middlefield Road, Room H-1
Palo Alto, CA

Conference News
***Ends September 24--O'Reilly Emerging Technology Conference
Call for Participation
Programmers, technologists, researchers, CTOs, CIOs, hackers,
and entrepreneurs are invited to submit proposals to lead
tutorial and conference sessions at the 3rd Annual O'Reilly
Emerging Technology Conference slated for February 9-12, 2004
in San Diego, CA. Suggested topics include: Interfaces and
Services, Social Software, Untethered, Location, Hardware, and
Business Models, as a start. The submission deadline for
proposals is September 24, 2003.
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/etcon/?CMP=NLC-W80C43814372

***The Second Annual O'Reilly Mac OS X Conference,
Santa Clara, CA--October 27-30
Tracks this year include Fearless Programming, Scripting Genius,
Sys Admin and Networking Mac Style, Media and Publishing, and
Emerging Topics. User Group members can use code DSUG to
register and receive 20% off conference pricing.

To register, go to:
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/macosx2003/create/ord_mac03

O'Reilly Mac OS X Conference
October 27-30, 2003
Westin Santa Clara, Santa Clara, CA
http://conferences.oreilly.com/macosxcon/

Safari News
***"Go On Safari" Tip of the Week Contest Winner--Rory Blyth,
Portland Area Game Developer Interest Group
"Social Ramifications--The benefits of Safari go even beyond its
intended scope. Just walk into a room full of nerds and say,
'I've got Safari.'

About 10% of them will be scratching their heads, wondering why
it is that you're bragging about having the latest and greatest
OS X web browser, but the rest will be drooling and calling you
horrible names. They will call you horrible names because they're
jealous. They'll be jealous because they're sick of finding lewd
photos of tennis rackets when what they really want is help."
For the rest of Rory's review go to:
http://www.neopoleon.com/blog/safari.aspx

User Group members can participate in our "Go On Safari"
introductory program. To "Go on Safari," any UG member who signs
up for our Safari 14-day free trial can send comments on their
experiences, or tips and tricks for how they used Safari (it
only needs to be 2 sentences long, but it may be longer) to
safari_talk@oreilly.com. (Please include your UG name in the email.)

Every week someone will be chosen from the tips or comments
submitted to receive fun stuff from O'Reilly (T-shirts, book
bags, or other surprises). If a member of your user group is
selected, your group receives a free gift, too. Whatever the
individual member receives, your UG will get one, too, to give
away at your next meeting, or use however you see fit.
Recipients--and their comments--will be announced in this User
Group Newsletter.

**Please use this special UG URL to sign up for the 14-day trial
http://www.oreilly.com/safari/ug

For more information on Safari:
http://safari.oreilly.com/

News From O'Reilly & Beyond
---------------------
General News
---------------------
***O'Reilly Authors in the News

*Google on NPR
Listen to this "Talk of the Nation" interview with Google
co-founder Sergey Brin and Rael Dornfest, coauthor of O'Reilly's
"Google Hacks."
http://www.npr.org/features/feature.php?wfId=1421546

*An Interview with Paul Bausch
Listen in on this IT Conversations interview with Paul Bausch,
the author of "Amazon Hacks." Paul talks about topics covered in
the book, including the Amazon Associates program and the Amazon
Wish List.
http://www.itconversations.com/index.php

For more info on our Hacks:
http://hacks.oreilly.com/

***Hacking Windows XP
In these two hacks excerpted from "Windows XP Hacks," author
Preston Gralla walks through how to shorten the time it takes
for your desktop to appear when you turn on your PC (and make XP
shut down faster as well), and how to use some of Preston's
favorite Registry hacks to make nifty interface changes.
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/network/excerpt/winxphacks_chap1/index.html

---------------------
Open Source
---------------------
***Single Sign-on for Your Web Applications
Jason Garman walks you through the implementation of SPNEGO,
which allows for single sign-on of your web applications with
Apache and Kerberos.
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2003/09/11/kerberos.html

Jason is the author of "Kerberos: The Definitive Guide."
Order Number: 4036
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/kerberos/

***The Hacker Behind "Hacking the XBox"
Reverse engineering seems a mysterious and dark art, aided,
perhaps, by the specter of the U.S. DMCA. Andrew "Bunnie" Huang
risked penalties for his self-published "Hacking the Xbox."
Howard Wen recently interviewed Huang on reverse engineering,
disclosure, and the guts of the Xbox itself.
http://linux.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/2003/09/11/bunniehuang_interview.html

---------------------
Java
---------------------
***Web and Enterprise Architecture Design Patterns for J2EE
>From their experience as web-era application designers, Ganesh
Prasad, Rajat Taneja, and Vikrant Todankar saw a need for a set
of named ways of doing things at the application or subsystem
level, in the same manner that the original design patterns
fulfilled a need for standardization of lower-level
functionality. In part one of a two-part series, the authors
discuss their Web and Enterprise Architecture Design Patterns
in the Partitioning and Scope categories.
http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2003/09/10/patterns.html

---------------------
.NET
---------------------
***Enhancing ASP.NET Pages with JavaScript
A sprinkling of JavaScript code can enhance the reach and
responsiveness of your ASP.NET web pages without sacrificing
ASP.NET's secure, server-based model for your coding. Matthew
MacDonald, coauthor of "ASP.NET in a Nutshell, 2nd Edition,"
shows you how to use JavaScript in an ASP.NET web page to
perform three common tasks: showing a pop-up window, changing
control focus, and handling frame navigation. You can use these
tricks to quickly solve problems that have no native .NET solution.
http://www.ondotnet.com/pub/a/dotnet/2003/09/15/aspnet.html

---------------------
Web
---------------------
***Ten Tips for Building a Flash Remoting Application
Flash Remoting has not changed much for the release of Flash MX
2004, which is good news for programmers building complex Rich
Internet Applications (RIA). Flash Remoting still offers the
most flexible, intuitive way to add an application server to an
RIA. Tom Muck, author of O'Reilly's upcoming "Flash Remoting:
The Definitive Guide," offers ten tips for building a Flash
Remoting application that will help programmers deliver the most
efficient RIA possible.
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/javascript/2003/09/16/flashremoting.html

---------------------
Mac
---------------------
***Keynote Plays Ball with PowerPoint
Apple's Keynote is the first major-company presentation software
in years to step up to bat against ruling giant Microsoft
PowerPoint. Ian Darwin provides a detailed comparison of the
two presentation heavyweights.
http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/09/12/keynote.html

Until next time--

Marsee