Networked refrigerators (was Re: [Nolug] Vint Cerf talk (my notes from his talk at LSU))

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 04:05:59 -0500

On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 18:52, Joey Kelly wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I took notes during Vint Cerf's talk on "Internet Past and Future" this
> afternoon. They aren't complete, but I think I got most of the high points.
>
> ttp://joeykelly.net/cgi-bin/scratchpad/index.cgi?VintonCerf

"net fridges: emailing you that you need to buy milk, etc."

Why do people keep bringing this up? How can the 'fridge know if
the milk carton is almost empty? Any technology put in the box to
try to make such estimations will just drive up the cost.

Such things are *useless*.

What *is* useful about a net-connected refrigerator is the ability
to send alerts like:
"Hey, the door's been open for 30 minutes!!!"
"The temperature is above normal, even though the door is closed."
"The compressor is working too hard. Maybe it needs to be cleaned."

This leads to other appliances sending useful messages, and being
able to be remote controlled, like the:
dishwasher
washing machine
clothes dryer
VCR/DVD players

Imagine a secure web interface into your DVD-RW player, so that if
you are at work, and remember that you forgot to set the timer to
record Jeopardy, you can do so from the office.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA
"What's your genius, perfect 20 years too late Monday morning
quarterback answer to how the US should have responded to the
Soviet invasion of Afghanistan? Oh wait, you're just talking
crap - you don't have a real answer, you're just regurgitating
crap from NPR."
http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=76597&cid=6839483