Re: [Nolug] netbsd and cox cable modems

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 00:11:07 +0000

Thou spake:
>Anyone run netbsd and use dhcp? I can't pull an IP, no matter what I do.
> This is my first attempt at using netbsd and cox.
>
>Ideas? Thanks.

I'm getting this error:

IP length 328 disagrees with bytes receives 332

Also I'm seeing interactivity with IP 10.129.48.1, which I'm sure is one of
Cox's dhcp servers, so at least my NIC is working semi-correclty. What could
be causing the bytelength errors? A mis-configured NIC? I know it physically
works (I switched NICs earlier and both are able to talk to my LAN).

Ok, I'll paste what configurations I have:

-bash-2.05b# cat /etc/ifconfig.rtk1
# config for dhcpclient
up
!dhclient rtk1

# this next one I stole out of the dhcp howto linked off netbsd.org

-bash-2.05b# cat /etc/dhclient.conf
timeout 60;
retry 60;
reboot 10;
select-timeout 5;
initial-interval 2;

interface "rtk1" {
  send host-name "home.joeykelly.net";
  send dhcp-client-identifier 00:50:bf:69:a5:00;
  send dhcp-lease-time 3600;
  prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;
  request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers,
    domain-name, domain-name-servers, host-name;
  require subnet-mask, domain-name-servers;
# script "CLIENTBINDIR/dhclient-script";
# media "media autoselect";
 }

# fallback IP in case I can't pull one from the dhcp server
alias {
  interface "rtk1";
  fixed-address 10.1.1.50;
  option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;