Re: [Nolug] netbsd and cox cable modems

From: Scott Harney <scotth_at_scottharney.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 07:39:05 -0500

Brad N Bendily <brad@selu.edu> writes:

>> I don't think it's you - I think it's Cox. I've been unable to pull an IP from
>> them with my Linux box or a Linksys router. The one Windows machine in the
>> house pulls one fine.
>
> My Linux box pulls a DHCP address from Cox with no problems.

My openbsd does too. I haven't changed dhclient.conf since @home days:
$OpenBSD: dhclient.conf,v 1.1 1998/09/08 20:26:41 marc Exp $
#
# DHCP Client Configuration
#
# See dhclient.conf(5) for possible contents of this file.
# When empty default values are used:
#
# Example:
#
# send dhcp-lease-time 3600;
send host-name "cx140406-a";
supersede host-name "minutemen";
supersede domain-name "local.lan";
supersede domain-name-servers <my.preferred.dns.servers>;

I'm pretty sure that hostname I'm sending is from @home. current Cox
doesn't care. minutemen.local.lan is my locally handled fqdn. I also
was able to pull from them with a linksys router.

My question is, is this a different PC with a different MAC address?
The modem itself keeps track of MAC addresses and probably has cached the MAC
of the old PC. normally a power cycle clears this but you may have to call
cox and tell them you changed PC's. have fun with that phone call ;)

with most cable modems you can surf to http://192.168.100.1 (if your firewall
allows it) and view information about what's going on. look for something
containing the CPE MAC address and make sure it matches the PC you're attaching
to the modem.

Linksys routers can "clone" (ie spoof) a MAC id. I'm sure you can get netbsd
to spoof the original MAC as well if you want to go that route.

> BB

Scott Harney<scotth@scottharney.com>
"...and one script to rule them all."
gpg key fingerprint=7125 0BD3 8EC4 08D7 321D CEE9 F024 7DA6 0BC7 94E5