[Nolug] November meeting topic: bash scripting

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 09:19:55 +0000

Next month Judson will be giving an in-depth lecture on unix programming
using bash. Scripting (short programs useful for random tasks done in an
interpreted versus a compiled language such as C) allows you to take mundande
administration tasks and automate them.

Learning how to script can save you from typing the same thing over and over
again. A good scripter has more time left over for important sysadmin jobs
such as reading slashdot, laughing at userfriendly, or playing nethack.

Bash is a complicated topic, and Judson will be hitting us with both barrels
next month. We've tried topics for newbies and presentations giving an
overview of some service or funtionality (samba, security, squid, spam
filtering, etc.), and from time to time we'll still have meetings geared to
the beginner or intermediate Linux user. However, we're going to start giving
advanced lectures, in the hopes of making the meetings more interesting, and
therefore boosting our attendance.

Judson is the guy that gave a talk on runlevels a few months ago, by the way.

In related news:

I've been talking to Dustin from BRLUG (the Baton Rouge LUG), and as his
schedule permits, he'll be giving a presentation for advanced users, perhaps
on samba or something else he's familiar with, after the first of the year.
Dustin is an accomplished writer and presentation speaker (check the links on
brlug.net), so that meeting should be a good one.