Re: [Nolug] DNS question

From: -ray <ray_at_ops.selu.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 11:27:31 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Clinton R. Nixon wrote:

> What I can't figure out is how to set an IP address if someone tries to
> contact domain.com. I'm not using Bind, so what I'm looking for is a
> high-level overview. Anyone have any ideas?

With BIND, the @ symbol is an alias for your domain, so you could just put
this in your zone file:

@ IN A 10.123.123.123

I have it up at the top near the SOA record. Not sure if this @ symbol is
in the DNS RFC's. I'd guess you could also have a fully qualified entry,
but i haven't tried that:

domain.com. IN A 10.123.123.123

Most of the time you'll want MX records for domain.com pointing to your
mail servers, and an A record pointing to your web (or mail) server. Then
use Apache virtual hosting to make www.domain.com and domain.com goto the
same page.

ray