Re: [Nolug] wireless mesh networks, MAN clouds and user overload

From: Judson Lester <jlester_at_tulane.edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 14:29:46 -0600

> Another issue, which isn't totally clear in my mind, had to do with
> routing
> from one AP (for lack of a better word) to another, and a decrease of
> space
> in each packet for actual data. Judson was saying something about
> this, but I
> think I was away from the table at that point. Probably it had to do
> with
> bridging instead of routing, but perhaps he can share with the group
> exactly
> what he was talking about, if he has the time to post that here.

Sure, Joey.

The short version is this: connecting APs to Wireless bridges (which is
essentially an AP in reverse) is a bad idea for the most part. My
understanding is that 802.11 frames include data about the AP they're
talking to, and as a frame passes through several APs, each one adds
some data to the frame. After a few (like 2 or 3) bridge-AP hops, the
frames get fragmented, and your throughput drops to the 1Mb range (if
that.)

Judson