Re: [Nolug] cvs primer

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 09:02:50 -0600

s/utilize/use/g; # This is just me, I know, but over-utilization of
s/utilization/use/g; # the verb "to utilze" is annoying when it means
                     # the same thing as "to use".

Under "Alternatives to CVS": Subversion
<http://subversion.tigris.org/>

Subversion is currently self-hosting (they use Subversion to develop
Subversion) and, from what I've seen in using it, is mature enough to
use.

Subversion is being built as a replacement for CVS -- to overcome
many of the problems that CVS has (e.g. renaming files).

Subversion uses WebDAV as a transport mechanism. They've built an
Apache module to provide DeltaV support to the more conventional
mod_dav module.

Still, CVS benefits from maturity and wide-use: It is stable and
there are a lot of tools out there.

Mark.

--
Peace is only better than war if peace isn't hell, too.
    -- Walker Percy, "The Second Coming"