Re: [Nolug] Poor Joey

From: -ray <ray_at_ops.selu.edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 11:01:44 -0600 (CST)

That's correct. From what i understand, RH is making money with their
enterprise line, so maintaining paid support and producing boxed copies of
the free RH distro is not worth their effort anymore. RH engineers will
still put a lot of R&D into Fedora, but RH the company won't sell or
support it. Also this opens more oppurtunities for the linux community to
be directly involved in Fedora development. Fedora will be the test bed
for technologies that eventually make it into RH enterprise products.
I'm just waiting to see how strongly RH backs Fedora development and
providing timely security updates.

Also, this isn't a new concept. Sun does this with
Openoffice.org/StarOffice. Netscape does it with Mozilla/Navigator.

ray