Re: [Nolug] Distro suggestions

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 15:29:17 -0600

<snip>

>Others like family and those of a like mind. Only an external
>power can get someone to give their own wealth to those who don't
>*seem* to deserve it.
>
>Two powers that I can think of are religion ('love your neighbor
>as yourself') and the coercive power of the State.

The christian (or anyone that gives to others less fortunate, really) gives
of their own free will.

The state takes money by force and gives it to people that don't want to hold
a steady job (ok, I'm hyperbolizing, but you get the idea).

Many have taken Acts and other passages from the bible and tried to use them
as precedent for wealth redistribution, but the bible does not teach the
Robin Hood principle.