Re: [Nolug] Distro suggestions

From: Alex <alex_at_boxchain.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 23:27:26 -0600

Well, first of all it helps to have a spare machine before you start
experimenting with the mail server...and no decent distro comes without
apache. The better ones offer several flavors.

I've been told Debian has a good installer. And the best, I've also
heard, system of keeping current, while resolving dependencies. And,
while deb-stable can be waay out of date, that's what deb-testing is for.

That being said, I'm still running scripts I wrote years ago for RHAT
boxen. On Slackware. I had to make minor changes to some, and some I
was able to throw away!

Also, I feel it fair to mention that I still have a RHAT box in service,
chugging away, being quiet, getting 300+ day uptimes (between hurricanes
and other power outages).

Good luck.

--
Alex McKenzie     alex@boxchain.com     http://www.boxchain.com