[Nolug] Interest in a new XUL to Perl/Tk project?

From: Brett D. Estrade <estrabd_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 11:24:20 -0800

I am interested in creating a perl utility that will take a XUL
definition file (http://www.xulplanet.com/) and generate a gui using
Perl/Tk.

The main purpose of this email is to see if anyone is interested in
helping out. The secondary purpose is to find out if you perl users out
there are of the opinion that 1) this is feasible and 2) there is an
interest in such a project.

My main opinion is that building a gui should be as easy as building a
web page with html. Obviously, more knowledge in the areas of using
callbacks and event handlers would be needed, but painting the actual gui
should be no harder than html.

I have worked out a basic scheme (state based) to parse the XML and
handle tags using HTML-Parser module. I chose this one because it has
minimial dependancies, and can be installed by anyone into a local
perllib.

Right now I am still planning the project, and no code has been written.
Contact me offline. Soon I will be registering a project on sourceforge
to manage this baby. Feel free to forward this email to any of the other
LaLugs. I'd don't want to be limiting, but I'd like to get some folks
involved that are geographically close together so that if we need to
meet ever it would be easy to do so...

Lastly, I am no expert in the area of XUL, Perl, GUIs, or Perl/Tk. All I
have is the bug to have something that will take a XUL file and make a
GUI that could be used mostly any where...any and all ideas, suggestions,
and feedbacks will be considered and welcomed...

Comments?

Thanks,
Brett
=====