Re: [Nolug] Free Wireless

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 17:02:38 -0500

Thou spake:
>I have a wireless network and was considering making it
>available to anyone but I want to monitor it and set limits.
>I think I recall seeing some software mentioned on here
>that would do that and allow for a welcome screen.
>
>Thoughts?? Suggestions??

My suggestions are to do the following:

Add a third NIC in your Linux firewall, put the wireless AP on it, and tell
your firewall it's a DMZ. Run squid and a dns server, and DHCP. Force your
leechers^Wusers to surf through squid. Deny them the ability to route past
the firewall. Offer no other services to them, except for ssh.

If you're on the wireless link and want to route to the net, ssh to the
firewall and set up ad-hoc proxies for yourself.

--Joey