RE: [Nolug] Why windows must die

From: John Souvestre <johns_at_sstar.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 20:34:48 -0600

I did an ADSL install about a month ago. The company's computer consultant
was there. He had set up the router and LAN for them. Within 1 minute of
my connecting the modem to the router the workstation he was using got
blasted. I turned off the modem right away, but it was too late. Out of 4
computers at the office, that one and another one were infected.

While this is due to a Microsoft bug, it was also due to:

1) Not applying patches which had been available for about 6 months.

2) Not turning on the firewall in XP.

3) Setting up the router with no form of NAT or other protection. They
needed public IPs for each machine because of some #$%$^& finance program
they used remotely.

Fixing any one of the above would have blocked blaster. So I can't blame it
ALL on Microsoft. ;-)

John

    John Souvestre - Southern Star - (504) 888-3348 - www.sstar.com