RE: [Nolug] Why windows must die

From: John Souvestre <johns_at_sstar.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 03:12:37 -0600

Hi Andrew.

>>> Of course, you have to get onto the internet to get the patches, so it's
a catch-22. This is what a Linux box is for.

They had 6 months to do it, and didn't. Any correctly administered system
could then be used to get the patches. We used my laptop.

>>> 2) Not turning on the firewall in XP.

>>> Does this really work? Comments I've heard have been all over the map.

Yes.

>>> They just make it sooooooooooooooo easy.

It's easier to update an XP system than it is to update a FBSD or Linux
system.

>>> The VM was a brand new install from the CD, hours old.

Yes, this is bad. You are right. Fortunately Microsoft FINALLY learned and
now XP defaults to turning the firewall on, instead of off.

>>> True, I probably should have run windoze update and let it run all
night.

As long as you either turned on the internal firewall or put it behind a
router with a firewall (NAT would do), yes. Would you put a raw Linux box
on the Internet without applying all the security patches to it? Of course
not! :-)

John

    John Souvestre - Southern Star - (504) 888-3348 - www.sstar.com