Re: [Nolug] AGP / DRI diagnostics

From: Andrew S. Johnson <andy_at_asjohnson.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 01:53:44 -0600

On Thursday 20 November 2003 09:08 pm, scotth@scottharney.com wrote:
> "Andrew S. Johnson" <andy@asjohnson.com> writes:
>
> > My computer has been locking up frequently lately. I've determined
> > through trial and error that by not loading the agpgart and radeon
> > modules I can use X. Everything has worked fine for the last few
> > years, so something in the hardware is going out. I don't know if
> > it's the video card or the motherboard. I made a quick google for
> > diags, but I didn't find anything.
>
> What makes you think it's not either X or agp/radeon modules and not
> hardware? Surely you've upgraded these things in the last few
> years....

I took all the cards out except the video, and it still locked up. I've had
the same cards for almost three years. The only thing I've added to
this machine is a USB 2.0 card, a new CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo
drive, and a 160 gig hard drive. The motherboard, video card, sound
card, nic, and RAM are "original". The software hasn't changed since
I installed Slackware 9.1 a few months ago. The lockup problem just
started a few days ago. Software doesn't "break". Hardware does.
Like I said, disabling DRM fixed the problem, when DRM has been
working fine the last few years. It even locked up in the BIOS once
while I was checking voltages. It's a hardware problem, and the
problem is either with the video card, the northbridge, the CPU, or
RAM. Since disabling DRM fixes the problem, I'm inclined to blame
the video card or the northbridge, but I don't have a way to know
which one yet. That is what I'm asking for help on. I didn't find any
Linux hardware diags, but that doesn't mean that someone doesn't
know of any, or has something to try that would clearly indicate one
or the other. In either case though, solving the problem will involve
cash. It always something, isn't it?

Andy Johnson