Re: [Nolug] This might be a way to boost membership

From: gonzeaux bevarde <gonzeaux_bevarde_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 07:20:31 -0800 (PST)

I've been signed up for the Linux Meetup for months and it never seems to happen.
But then I can't seem to make it to the NOLUG meetings either. I made it once and
I really enjoyed it but it just seems that something always comes up - work usually.
I can tell you what would help me get there is have the meeting at a bar near my house.
Really, for me, it seems like the weekends are usually more open. But then, I didn't make it to the meetings Sat afternoons at Dots Diner (is that right??) either.

I was extremely excited about the LFS project - but I got distracted with other obligations
and I assume its on hold right now. I think if the meetings were more often I would be
more likely to be able to make them. I also think the odds in me being the only one there
would be pretty high. And not to be unappreciative, but the thought of going to UNO is
sometimes a little daunting. Not that its a big pain to go and park and all, but like going
to the dentist, it seems so in my mind sometimes.

Another thought is maybe more social events to add some bonding to the group.
personal and professional friendships tend to be a great motivator to over ride the
excuses people invent (like me) for not going to things like this. Possibly even
a mentorship where the more commited/knowledgeable members help get the slackers
more involved. Its all about the bond.

Sorry for the random thoughts, but I'd really like to be more involved and I'm not really
sure why I'm not. The way I see it there are three or four variables. Venue, when, relationships, and content. I'm using chuches as a model: they have great venues,
there's nothing else to do on Sunday morning anyway, they're very friendly and
welcoming (even making people feel guilty for not attending) and they have uplifting
and encouraging content. From my one experience content is the least of your worries
- so maybe play around with the other elements and see what works. Are other LUGs
having or had similar concerns? Would involvement in bigger events help get more loyalty
out of the group.

Random thought....but maybe somewhere in there is something useful.

Sincerely,

Jack

Christoph <jcboget@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I found this site http://linux.meetup.com/ All you do is sign up for an
> account, don't worry it's free, search for a topic that interest you and sign up
> for that meetup. They let you vote on the meetup location and send you a
> reminder a few days before.

I'm not sure how much it would be a boost to membership. There is a
meetup section for PHP users and everytime a venue comes up for a
vote, the meetup is always cancelled due to lack of respondents.

Chris