Re: [Nolug] slackware users?

From: Clinton R. Nixon <crnixon_at_anvilwerks.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 22:07:11 -0600

On Sunday 07 December 2003 20:53, Joey Kelly wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm scouting out what my next distro for my main desktop will be, and am
> considering slack. I'd like pros and cons about it, please...
>
> FYI, I am not a newbie, and configs by hand don't scare me... in fact, I
> want a distro that will force me to learn stuff in detail.

I use Slackware quite a bit - it was my first distro back in '94. Here's my
impressions:

Pro: Lightning fast. It's by far the fastest distro I've used.

Pro: _Great_ package system. They're all just .tar.gz files, but it tracks
them well. Easy to work with, and supposedly, with the new "swaret" app, it
acts much Debian's apt.

Con: BSD-style init scripts. My loathing for BSD init scripts knows no limit.

Con: You'll have to fiddle with the font sub-system if you don't want them to
look like junk. Luckily, all the instructions you need are here: http://
brendan.sdf-eu.org/articles/antialiasing_slack.php

Pro: Good online support. Check out http://www.linuxpackages.net/ for all the
packages you might want.

Pro: Config's not nearly as hairy as it's made out to be. It's easier than
Debian. It's text-based, which frightens the natives, but easy.

All in all, it's a great system. I will offer unsolicited advice: yesterday, I
installed Mepis Linux (http://www.mepis.org). It's pretty sweet stuff: Debian
based, but up-to-date and pretty interesting. It's got a Live-CD, which is
nice for testing it. In my opinion, it's the most newbie-friendly distro I've
used.

- Clinton R. Nixon