Re: [Nolug] Elite Nerds Create Linux Distro From Hell

From: Andrew S. Johnson <andy_at_asjohnson.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 20:24:12 -0600

On Monday 08 December 2003 07:30 pm, Tim Kelley wrote:
> On Monday 08 December 2003 4:09 pm, CMJandHOJ@cs.com wrote:
>
> > I'm just looking to get the most bang for my buck. I can't afford
> > to setup a UNIX box at home and I want to learn UNIX and LINUX. I
> > figured if I picked a distro most like UNIX it would be easier to
> > adapt to either at the lowest cost to me.
> >
> > Chris
>
> None of the linux distro are really that much like solaris, at least not
> superficially. They're much, much easier and nicer to use in general.
>
> I would go with slack or debian, then get your self a cheap sun machine
> off ebay (~$300) when you can afford it to learn solaris, or if you
> really want solaris off the bat that badly, try out Solaris X86.

I have a copy of the 4 disc set of Slowaris 8 for x86 someone gave me,
if you just HAVE to have it.

> Slackware is very "minimally managed", like solaris, and you wind up
> compiling and downloading tons of things, like solaris. Slackware is
> very "barebones" and you will learn a lot about *linux* in general
> using it.

>From the Slackware website:

The Slackware Philosophy

Since its first release in April of 1993, the Slackware Linux Project has
aimed at producing the most "UNIX-like" Linux distribution out there.
Slackware complies with the published Linux standards, such as the
Linux File System Standard. We have always considered simplicity
and stability paramount, and as a result Slackware has become one
of the most popular, stable, and friendly distributions available.

So there you have it.

> Solaris is painful to use but it is very powerful. You will understand
> why people hated unix when you use solaris, unless the admin has taken
> the time to make a nice environment for you. It's definitely worth
> learning though.

When I had so use Slowaris, it was still Openlook based. PEEEYOUUUU!
Oh, and yes, management with whatever that GUI was called wasn't much
fun either. I'll agree on the painful. It's disk organization into 8 slices,
one of which you can't use anyway, didn't strike me as a great idea.
It's almost as bad as VMS.

Andy Johnson