RE: [Nolug] Wireless modem

From: Petri Laihonen <pietu_at_weblizards.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 15:51:15 -0600

At the moment, I don't think any wireless phone would do regular networking.
I believe they would not do that in the future either. Closest to that would
be a bluetooth capability.

There will be however IP's assigned to the phones by the operator when the
operator starts supporting 3G networks and beyond. Also, if I remember
correctly wap2 equipped phones will support IP addressing when ever it gets
finalized. Currently all wap traffic goes through the operator's wap gateway
and depending on the gateway, some wap sites work or they don't work. It is
a real wap developers nightmare. It is not enough that wap support in phones
are implemented with the attitude "it's close enough", but in addition wap
gateways are made with the same attitude, and of course each operator wants
to make their own "tweaks" to break the last bit of the standard.

Btw... If you have an xhtml capable phone, go check the latest version of
my wap site. http://mcmwap.com/ if your phone does not support xhtml, then
the default wap site is being displayed instead. Operator and phone
detection works better on xhtml side. However, I'll be working on both of
them frequently.