Re: [Nolug] Mimedefang Spamassassin Bayesian learning

From: Dustin Puryear <dpuryear_at_usa.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 11:01:46 -0600

> You don't even have to train it, that's the point of auto-learning! The
> Bayes db will train itself based on what Spamassassin considers spam
> (score > 12) and ham (score < 0.1). But the before the Bayes rules will
> kick in and start affecting the total score, you do have to have a good
> amount of spam and ham in the Bayes db. The defaults are 200 ham and 200
> spam messages. All those default values are configurable in the config
> file.

I agree with you in principle Ray. However, I am currently working alongside
a company that develops a spam filtering appliance, and I can say with
certainity that you want to train bayes. The effectiveness is just so much
better if you do.

But for lazy people, like myself, auto-learning is indeed great.