Re: [Nolug] Dual head color mismatch

From: Andrew S. Johnson <andy_at_asjohnson.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 01:10:15 -0600

On Monday 29 December 2003 10:59 pm, Petri Laihonen wrote:
> Sorry, you can not!
>
> With luck, if the two monitors are the same brand, model and almost the same
> serial number you may get very close, but never exactly the same.
>
> I have 15 workstations with dual head configurations and all the monitors
> have almost identical serial numbers. Some of them are not even close to
> same color. No matter how much I try to tweak them. This also applies to LCD
> monitors.

Try using the Gamma option for each display in your XF86config file.
It probably won't be perfect, but it should get you close. BTW, the
short and crude explanation of gamma correction is that it corrects
for the non-linearity of devices such as CRT. In other words, the
amount of light given off is not directly proportional to the signal
applied to the monitor. Gamma mostly fixes this. The situation
would be much worse if you were using TV-out instead of VGA.
You may know that NTSC is used to refer to television standards
in the US, but in the trade it usually goes something like "Never
The Same Color".

If you really want to hurt your head, I have noticed that certain
objects appear more or less red, depending on which eye I'm
using. It's very subtle, but I can tell a difference.

Andy Johnson