Re: [Nolug] my next laptop

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 22:15:05 -0600

On Sun, 2004-01-18 at 21:01, Alex McKenzie wrote:
> Joey Kelly wrote:
> > Emachines (hush!) just put out an Athlon 64-bit laptop for $1500. I want one.
> >
> > Bad.
> >
> > http://news.com.com/2100-1003_3-5141786.html
>
> Hey, they're bigger than Gateway and Apple...
>
> So what's the deal with 64 bit computing...Doesn't it require all
> programs to be programmed/compiled in 64bits?

The AMD64 (encompassing, so far, the Opteron, Athlon64 & FX51 chips)
design takes that into account. Thus, it has 3 modes:
1. Only 64 bit OS & apps
2. 64 bit OS, 64 bit apps, and 32 bit apps
3. 32 bit OS & apps. (This is how 99% of the Athlon 64 bit chips
   are now being used.(

> (I vaguely remember the migration to 32 bits to be problematic, but I
> was a Mac guy at the time.)

No, because once you get a 64 bit OS, you can still run 32 bit apps.

> Will this fix the year 2038 problem?

No, because the Unix specification is that time_t is 32 bit.
http://www.opengroup.org/dce/info/y2k.htm