[Nolug] Get the Facts

From: gonzeaux bevarde <gonzeaux_bevarde_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 14:57:56 -0800 (PST)

Since traffic has been so slow lately, when I saw this I thought it might raise some
interesting debate.
http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/facts/default.asp

This is not an invitation to roast Microsoft but they are making some pretty robust claims (even for them).

http://slashdot.org/articles/04/01/28/073253.shtml?tid=109&tid=126&tid=163&tid=187&tid=98&tid=99

Here’s the Slashdot article incase you want a little wider perspective than this little

technology backwater.

<$0.02>

Personally, I would be hypocritical to be too anti Microsoft since I’ve made a tidy living

from helping their hapless users. But I do dream of a time when I no longer have to see

that nonsensical logo every day. Sadly, I must confess that I have a Libranet box and a

Windows box at home both connecting to the ether-world through wireless cards.

Windows installed the card, connected me to the internet, checked my email for me, and

replied appropriately to messages of interest while I was getting a cup of coffee (I have no

idea how). The Libranet box still isn’t working because I can’t get the Wireless card driver

installed. I’ve worked on it off and on for several weeks and I’m disgusted by my

dependence on the Windows box to help me find the info I need to get the Libranet box

up online. That may sound all pro Microsoft but it isn’t – if anything – it’s anti me. See, I

realize that the reason I can’t get the Libranet box up is because I have more to learn –

not because Microsoft is better. And I am learning more. I learn more every time I sit

down in front of the Libranet box. The only time I really learn anything on the Microsoft

box is if I’m looking up something about Libranet. So, if someone were to ask me if my

TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) is higher on Microsoft or Linux I’d have to admit it’s higher

on Linux. But that discounts almost everything because if they asked me if my TBO

(Total Benefit of Ownership) is higher on Microsoft of Linux I’d have to admit it’s higher on

Linux. But again, this discounts almost everything because we’re talking about such a

finite period of time. Surely there are those of you out there who’s TCO would be much

lower with Linux, and with any luck, in 15 years if I were asked the same thing the TCO

answer would be different and the TBO answer would be the same.

</$0.02>

"Out like a fat kid playing dodgeball"

Jack