[Nolug] network terminology

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 18:18:14 -0600

On Monday 02 February 2004 17:56, Jeff Lee spake:
> Loopback?? Im new to this... obviously.

The "loopback" interface is 127.0.0.1, usually. Even if you don't have any
network cards in your machine, you can still ping yourself, if you use the
loopback interface. This is needed, because many *nix programs are
network-aware and won't function right if there isn't some sort of network
available to it.

Pop open a shell (command prompt) and type "netstat -an " (or perhaps "netstat
-an | grep -i listen") and you'll see that at least some of the services that
are running on your box are listening on the loopback interface.

Hope this helps (although I'm not sure where Ron was going with that... I
haven't been following this thread).

"I may have invented it, but Bill made it famous."
 --- David Bradley, the IBM employee that invented CTRL-ALT-DEL