Re: [Nolug] time problems on RH 7.3

From: Mischa Krilov <subs_at_krilov.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 08:38:01 -0600

Roetto Mike B CONT SSGC wrote:

> I have a workaround that executes "rdate -s time.nist.gov" at startup, but
> it's been bugging me.

Whenever I've had to sync time, I've used ntp. It may be a better way
for you to keep the clock in sync. Last time I played with it, we had
one box ntp'ing to a server in the outside world, and all of other
machines hit the internal ntp server.

Link:
http://www.ntp.org/

> Anyone have any ideas of things I could look at? Platform is RedHat 7.3 on a
> Compaq Proliant 2500.

For your specific problem, you may want to check and make sure that your
BIOS clock is set the way you want it, including TZ (if possible) or if
your system somehow thinks the clock is UTC time. If I were you, I'd set
the time however you like, then use hwclock to sync the system time with
the hardware clock.

You can check to see if there's a discrepancy with:

hwclock --show

and sync the hardware clock to the system time as follows:

hwclock --systohc

Link:
http://www.rt.com/man/hwclock.8.html

Hope this helps.