RE: [Nolug] Question about piping commands together

From: Wimprine, Thomas <twimprine_at_stei.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 09:19:24 -0600

Thanks guys.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nolug@joeykelly.net [mailto:owner-nolug@joeykelly.net] On Behalf
Of Joey Kelly
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2004 9:19 AM
To: nolug@joeykelly.net
Subject: Re: [Nolug] Question about piping commands together

On Thursday 12 February 2004 08:44, Wimprine, Thomas spake:
> At a meeting a few months ago Judson showed us how to pipe commands
> together. I'm trying to remember how to do something we did. I want to
take
> the man pages and get them to pdf.
>
> I know it was something with a2ps (man $something) ps2pdf

Um... I remember Mischa doing that a few meetings ago. Here's what I was
able
to come up with:

man $something | a2ps -o - | ps2pdf -  > $something.pdf

Apparently a2ps wants an output file, and setting it to "-" means standard
out. Ditto ps2pdf, although that command doesn't require the "-o" flag.

...but yeah, what Scott said.

"I may have invented it, but Bill made it famous."
 --- David Bradley, the IBM employee that invented CTRL-ALT-DEL